Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Burning in the Bosom

You know as I was thinking of this subject, I realized that if my wife were to read this she would say that I am trying to find the easy way out or something of the sort. But I say it just doesn't feel right anymore.

----------D&C 9:8-9----------

Months back, the wife and I would read the Book of Mormon and pray together nightly and I would also read by myself, but for some reason for some reason I would never get that burning in the Bosom feeling that D&C 9:8-9 talks about. I wonder why; I had it before; when I first joined the church I felt it; when I was baptized by my father-in-law into the church I felt it. What is going on? Why am I not feeling it? I was still following all the commandments and being a good Mormon, I was actively trying to be a better Mormon. I even talked to my Baptist Family about it. What is really going on.

Now that I have started having doubts and had a little confusion in my life, I have realized that I have felt this burning in the Bosom before, I felt it when I was baptized the first time in the Baptist Church, I have felt it when I was singing in the choir or listening to a sermon during my Baptist time.


So my question is: If I have received this burning in the Bosom while attending a church service that is supposedly not inspired of God (Baptist), and have also received it while attending the Mormon church, how do I know which one is right?

1 comment:

  1. Ray, trying to explain away spiritual experiences that I interpreted as "Witnesses from the Spirit" was the main reason it took me so long to conclude that it was false. Church history and doctrine has so many gaps it's not even funny. My testimony was almost entirely based on personal experiences with "the Spirit."

    But like you say, those experiences are not exclusive to the LDS Church. I've written about this on my blog, and this is an excellent discussion on the topic from a friend's blog.

    ReplyDelete